NHTSA has established the type classifications identified as below:
1. Passenger car
A motor vehicle with motive power, except a low-speed vehicle, multipurpose passenger vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer, designed for carrying 10 persons or less.
2. Multipurpose passenger vehicle
A motor vehicle with motive power, except a low-speed vehicle or trailer, designed to carry 10 persons or less which is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.
A motor vehicle with motive power, except a trailer, designed primarily for the transportation of property or special purpose equipment.
A motor vehicle with motive power, except a trailer, designed for carrying more than 10 persons.
A motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
A motor vehicle with or without motive power, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by another motor vehicle.
7. Low-speed vehicle
A motor vehicle, that is 4-wheeled, whose speed attainable in 1 mile(1.6km) is more than 20 miles per hour (32 kilometers per hour) and not more than 25 miles per hour (40 kilometers per hour) on a paved level surface, and whose GVWR is less than 3,000 pounds (1,361 kilograms).
8. Pole Trailer
A motor vehicle without motive power designed to be drawn by another motor vehicle and attached to the towing vehicle by means of a reach or pole, or by being boomed or otherwise secured to the towing vehicle, for transporting long or irregularly shaped loads such as poles, pipes, or structural members capable generally of sustaining themselves.
1. Agent: If the manufacturer is not located in the U.S., a U.S. permanent resident must be appointed as the legal representative.
2. Project preparation: information and sample preparation
3. Sample delivery and testing
4. Test report based on FMVSS
5. Manufacturer and vehicle type registration
6. Within 30 days of the start of the manufacturing process, manufacturer information and VIN number information must be reported to NHTSA