Brief: Autonomous driving are the key technology of the fourth industrial revolution. Most countries around the world are devoting a lot of energy to seize the opportunity during the transformation period of the automotive industry. The formulation and revision of national regulations and standards are particularly important for promoting the healthy and orderly development of the autonomous vehicle industry. KMVSS is the vehicle homologation framework regulation in South Korea, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport revised KMVSS on December 30, 2019 to supplement the definition and safety technical requirements of autonomous driving which will take into effect on July 1, 2020.
BACKGROUND TO THE REVISION OF REGULATIONS
South Korea officially released the “Requirements for the Safe Operation and Test Operation of Autonomous Vehicles” in 2016 to regulate the operation of autonomous driving trials, stipulate the road test application process, system control mode, display device requirements, and accident recorder installation, speed limit and collision prevention etc. It has continued to lay out autonomous driving, including improving regulations, simplifying some road test application processes, continuously upgrading the large-scale autonomous driving test field K-City, layout and planning of autonomous driving Roadmap. In addition, the South Korean government actively promotes the commercialization of L3-level autonomous driving. In July 2018, it published the Smart City Law, and are planning to build Smart City in Sejong City and Busan City by 2023. The South Korean government plans to use the L3 phase of autonomous driving in a simple environment in 2020, reach the commercial use of highways in the L4 phase in 2025, and reach the commercial use of cities in the L4 phase in 2030.
THE CONTENCT OF REGULATORY AMENDMENTS
KMVSS mainly supplements the definition of automatic driving level and stipulates the safety technical requirements of conditional autonomous driving system (L3 level).
The types of autonomous driving systems are classified and defined as conditional automatic driving system, highly automatic driving system and fully automatic driving system. In addition, the manufacturer is required to s designate an operating area of the automatic driving system according to the driving road environment and weather environment, and the operating limit of the system. The technical requirements for conditional autonomous driving system include the operation performance of the automatic driving system, the failure of the automatic driving system and the performance of the driver monitoring system.
Firstly, operational performance requirements of conditional automatic driving systems, mainly including the following 7 requirements
1. Requirements for installing activation and deactivation mode of automatic driving system
2. The driving conditions and front distance control standards of the automatic driving system: including automatic adjustment of the vehicle speed according to changes in road weather, immediate detection of obstacles, monitoring of the risk of impending collision and execution of emergency operations, etc., it also gives the formula for calculating the minimum distance
3. The specified maximum speed based on the sensing distanc, the formula for calculating the maximum speed is given
4. The driving conversion requirements of the automatic driving system which can recognize the when to convert, and the technical requirements during conversion process
5. Standards for Human-Car Interaction (HMI)
6. Standards for minimizing risks in conditional autonomous driving systems
7. Emergency operation requirements of automatic driving system, such as emergency braking and emergency steering
Secondly, the safety requirements for the failure of the automatic driving system, including failure control requirements, fault warning, and switching driver operations when a fault occurs
Thirdly, the performance requirements of the driver monitoring system require that the driver monitoring system should always be able to detect whether the driver is seated, whether a seat belt is fastened, and whether the driver can operate.
ATIC GLOBAL REGULATION RESEARCH AND VEHICLE HOMOLOGATION PRODUCT LINE
ATIC Automotive Regulation Research Department and Vehicle Homologation Product Line is dedicated to global automotive regulation research and whole vehicle type approval service. Based on self-developed digital platform ATIC also provides regulatory compliance service and regulation database subscription service.
ATIC is a testing, inspection and certification company from China, established in 2015.
MOTOR VEHICLE KMVSS CERTIFICATION PLEASE CONTACT